What happens during annual Archiving?
Near the start of each academic year, Edsby will schedule an annual archiving process. What this means for your users and their content is covered below.
The most important consideration before archiving starts is that we are syncing data for the upcoming school year before the archiving process happens. This ensures, for example, that students and staff who are continuing at your school will continue to have access to their Edsby accounts.
What is Archiving and what does it do?
First and most importantly: Archiving does not delete content.
Archiving is the permanent relocation of content from Edsby's primary disk arrays to larger secondary disk arrays, in order to optimize the performance of the current year data set. All archived content is read-only. Staff members may access archived content, but cannot edit, delete or alter it in any way. Staff can copy content, however - a common example of this is copying content from the Planners of past year classes into new classes.
Archived content is made accessible by first enabling the archive view for a specific school year. This option is found under the drop-down menu for each staff member's account:
The specific years any given staff member will see depend on the life of their account within the Edsby environment.
What is Archived?
All user accounts in a "dropped" state at the time of archiving will be moved to the archive. This is particularly important because accounts are never restored from the archive to active use.
This means if you have returning users who have not been identified as active in your SIS, and so are not active in Edsby, their accounts - and all of their content - will be permanently moved to the archive. When Edsby starts receiving data for dropped users in subsequent sync packages, new accounts will be created. This means, in the case of staff members, that they will not have access to their past years' data.
Students (and their parents) do not have access to archives, but maintaining a consistent account is still important for report card purposes and administrative review of past student performance.
You can be sure that this won't be a problem for your school by ensuring that you are syncing data for the new school year and that your students, parents and staff are all present in Edsby
What else is archived?
- All completed classes and their contents (including gradebook and report card content, seating plan, all Planner content, submitted work, all feed content - everything)
- Message conversations where the most recent message is > 90 days old at the time of archiving
- Group feed posts > 90 days old at the time of archiving
- Student Observations and attendance incidents (content seen on a student panorama)
- School News articles and events
- All attendance rollup data (seen in the student 'zoom' and student report)
- Reporting Periods
What is NOT archived?
- Edsby groups, and their membership lists, remain. The exception is groups expressly set to type "Archived".
- Group feed posts < 90 days old.
- Group Knowledge Base Articles
- Group Library items
- Group "Pinned" items
- Groups of type PLC - Professional Learning Community - are not touched. All content within a PLC will remain
- Student "Alerts"
Can we ask that certain content be exempted from the archiving process?
The archiving process cannot currently be customized for a specific school, but we would be interested in hearing from you if your preferred archiving options don't align with Edsby's default process.