There are three tiers for organizing classes: Subjects, Courses, and Course Periods.
- Subjects are used to identify and organize Courses. For example, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Pre-Calculus might be grouped under a Subject called Mathematics. For many schools, specific subject names are required so report cards can be generated properly.
- Courses are class offerings with a specific curriculum, that might be tied to a specific set of standards. For example, Algebra 1, American History, and Honors Literature are all Courses.
- A Class Period is a specific instance or "section" of a course. For example Honors Literature might be taught 2nd period by Mr. Smith and 4th period by Ms. Sanders. Each of these “sections” is a Class Period (also referred to as a "class" within Edsby)
Adding Subjects, Courses, and Classes
- Login to Twine at https://sis.choosetwine.com/ using your Twine administrator username and password. Once you are logged in, you will see the Twine main dashboard.
- From the side menu, select Scheduling > Courses
- The Courses dashboard will show you a list of existing subjects:
- To add a subject, click on the + icon at the bottom of the Subject list:
- On the upper portion of the page you'll be presented with fields where you can enter details for the Subject you are adding:
- Enter your new subject in the Title field
- When finished click Save.
- Select a subject from the Subjects list, and a column for Courses will appear to the right:
- To add a course, click on the + icon in the Courses column:
- On the upper portion of the page you'll be presented with fields where you can enter details for the course you are adding:
- Enter the course Title, and if required add details for Course ID, Credit Hours, and Course Credit.
- There are cases where particular schools assign course IDs based on a particular standard according to structured data.
- When finished, click Save
Adding Class Periods
- Select a subject from the Subjects list, and a course from the Courses column; an additional column for Class Periods will appear to the right:
- To add a class period, click the + icon in the Class Periods column:
- Details for your New Class Period will appear at the top of the screen, where you can enter class details.
- Fill out the desired details; required fields are indicated in red
- To designate a teacher, click on the drop-down menu and select the name of the teacher you would like to add. Additional teachers may be added to the class in Edsby, once the class has synncronized.
- Use Marking Period to designate the duration of your class. For example, use FY for a class that runs a Full Year; one-semester classes might be set to either Fall or Spring. You may also assign classes to a quarter or other term, depending on your school schedule.
- Indicate a Period that describes the time(s) when a class will meet. Click on the drop-down button above Period and select from the following available periods that correspond to your class schedule.
- To the right of the Period drop-down, you will checkboxes for days of the week that the class will be conducted. Set the days for your class on or off as desired:
- If your school uses "block" days rather than fixed days of the week for classes, please reference Setting block days in the Twine calendar
- If attendance will be taken in this class period, tick the checkbox for Attendance.
- When finished click Save