Edsby groups are a great way to keep teams of people connected, bringing together any combination of staff, students or parents. Groups are often used for staff or parent committees, and as places to bring together participants in athletics programs, clubs, performing arts, and anything else happening at your school that isn’t a class. In this article we’ll look at how staff can create groups.
How to create a group
- Administrators and school staff can create groups in Edsby. Login using either an admin or staff account.
- On the center of the main dashboard, you will see the My Groups panel. This panel lists all the groups where you're currently a member, and can be used to find and create new gropus. To create a new group, click the My Groups link:
- In the My Groups window, click the Create button.
- A configuration form for your new group will appear:
- Important fields to complete for your Group configuration include:
- Name - The name of your group should be descriptive and specific to what the group is for:
- Picture - Use the Browse button to select an icon that will represent your group. As a general rule, square graphics with resolution of approximately 300x300 pixels work well for group icons
- Click the Browse button.
- Select an image from your file directory.
- Click on Open.
- The image should now appear on the panel.
- Show to - This field determines who within Edsby is allowed to see that your group exists, when using the "find more" function in the My Groups panel. Restricting visibility for private groups is good policy; parents and students, for example, may not need to know about your staff committees. On the other hand, keeping groups for student activities visible in the directory allows the whole community to browse and explore those activities to find new interests. To set visibility:
- Click the drop-down menu for Show to. A list of roles will be presented:
- Select the roles for users who you want to be able to see the name of your group in Edsby. Select "No-one (Private)" for groups where the only participants will be members who you explicitly invite.
- Permissions - Permissions options allow you to designate who can make posts, reply to posts, and invite members to you group. Use the drop-down menus for each option to set the permissions you'd like for your group:
- Moderators - By default, Edsby will set you as a moderator for groups you create. Additional Moderators may be assigned by adding names to the Moderators field:
- When finished click Create Group
- Your group should now appear in your My Groups panel.