Toward the end of each school year, data from the current year will get "rolled over" or copied to next year. By default, this carries forward all staff, students (advancing them to the next grade), and associated parents. Usually we also rollover a new set of empty classes, patterned after the current classes, to save time in setting up class periods.
What happens during the data copy?
- All students, staff, subjects, courses, and class periods will be copied into the next school year dataset.
- Students will automatically advance a grade level.
- Students at your highest grade level will not be rolled to the upcoming school year.
- Class periods for next year will not include any enrolled students
What do schools need to do before the rollover date?
Please contact us if ANY of the following apply for your school:
- You will be making significant changes to your Class Periods, and do not want us to copy Subjects, Courses & Class Periods from the current year
- You are changing your Terms setup (i.e. Semesters/Quarters to Trimesters) Use the Marking period Updates.xlsx linked at the bottom of this help article and send to email@example.com
- You have changes to your bell schedule (different start/end times, different block rotations) Use the Bell Schedule Updates.xlsx linked at the bottom of this help article and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You have changes in course subjects
- You have new grade levels that need to be added
What is required after rollover?
- Verify term start/end dates for next year - please send term details to email@example.com; you may use the attached spreadsheet to record details.
- Designate school holidays for next year - In the Twine calendar, turn days on/off so Edsby will know when school is in session and attendance should be taken.
- Create accounts for new students - if there are only a few, setting them up manually in Twine works well. If you have many new students to add, please use the attached spreadsheet and send to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help with a bulk upload.
- Un-enroll students that aren’t returning - If any students were rolled who will not be attending next year, add a Drop date to inactivate those accounts.
- Create new staff accounts - Add new staff records for incoming teachers & staff
- Update class period details - Use the Scheduling tools in Twine to update class times, update teacher assignments, and add or remove class periods
- Enroll students in classes for the new school year - Once class periods are defined, use the Group Schedule and Student Schedule tools in Twine to add students into their classes
- Invite new Parents to use Edsby - When the new term begins, remind parents to activate their accounts and install the Edsby mobile app so they'll always know what's happening at school